Yields: 4 main-dish servings
Total Time: 35 min
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Oven Temp: 450
* 1 teaspoon(s) olive oil
* 1 medium red onion, sliced
* 2 clove(s) garlic, crushed with press
* 1/4 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper
* 8 ounce(s) broccoli florets, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
* 1/4 cup(s) water
* 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
* 1 can(s) (15- to 19-ounce) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 cup(s) part-skim ricotta cheese
* 4 6-inch whole-wheat pitas, each split horizontally in half
* 1/2 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese
* 2 medium (12 ounces) plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 7 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add broccoli, water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until broccoli is tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in small bowl, with potato masher or fork, mash beans with ricotta and 1/4 teaspoon salt until almost smooth.
3. Arrange pita halves on 2 large cookie sheets. Bake until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Spread toasted pitas with bean mixture. Top with broccoli mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake until heated through, 7 to 10 minutes longer.
4. To serve, sprinkle pitas with tomatoes.