FOR THE BASE
* 300g white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
* 1 sachet easy-blend yeast
* 1 tbsp olive oil , plus a little extra
FOR THE TOPPING
* 300g salad potatoes (no need to peel them)
* 200g baby spinach leaves
* 200g taleggio cheese (or vegetarian alternative), thinly sliced
* few rosemary sprigs
* 4 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
Serves 6 – 8
Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins, Plus rising
- Tip the flour and the yeast into a bowl and mix well. Stir in ½ tsp salt, then make a well in the centre and add 200ml hand-hot water and the oil and mix to a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 mins until the dough is smooth and silky. Return to the bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise for 1 hr.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes, then drain. Leave until cool enough to handle, then peel and cut into thin slices.
- Put the spinach into a metal colander and pour over boiling water from a kettle to just wilt the leaves. Press out excess water using the edge of a saucer.
- Knead the risen dough and roll out to line a 30 x 36cm shallow rectangular tin. Arrange the spinach over the pastry to within 2cm of the edges. Arrange the potatoes and Taleggio alternately over the top and scatter with rosemary.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan over the filling and the pastry edges and drizzle with a little olive oil. Leave to rise again for 20 mins. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Bake for 20-25 mins until the pastry is golden and the topping melted and golden brown. Serve cut into squares.
Green salad with summer herb dressing
Tear 3 Little Gem lettuces and 1 crisp lettuce (such as Batavia) into a salad bowl. Add a handful each parsley sprigs, mint leaves and snipped chives and toss everything together. Mix 2 tsp each chopped parsley, mint and snipped chives in a small bowl. Add 2 tbsp tarragon vinegar, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, a pinch of sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk in 5 tbsp olive oil until thickened and use to dress the salad.
Carrot, radish & chicory slaw
Grate 4 carrots, slice 1 bunch radishes and shred 2 heads chicory, preferably the pink kind. Mix in a bowl. Whisk together 2 tbsp mayonnaise, 2 tsp wholegrain mustard, 2 tsp white wine vinegar, 2 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper, then add to the salad and toss to coat.
370 kcalories, protein 16g, carbohydrate 46g, fat 14 g, saturated fat 7g, fibre 3g, sugar 2g, salt 1.43 g
Recipe from Good Food magazine by Mary Cadogan