* 500g strong bread flour or Italian '00' flour
* 1 level tbsp fine sea salt
* 2 x 7g sachets dried yeast
* 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
* 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
FOR THE TOPPING
* 8 tbsp passata
* 20 cherry tomatoes , halved
* 2 handfuls basil , roughly chopped
* 2 tbsp capers , rinsed and drained
* 2 balls mozzarella , torn into pieces
* 2 tbsp grated Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
* olive oil
* 2 handfuls rocket
Makes 4 pizzas
Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins. Plus rising
- Sieve the flour and salt onto a clean work surface and make a well in the middle. Mix the yeast, sugar and oil into 325ml lukewarm water and leave for a few minutes, pour into the well. Using a fork, bring the flour in gradually from the sides and swirl it into the liquid.
- Keep mixing, drawing larger amounts of flour in, and when it all starts to come together, work the rest of the flour in with clean, flour-dusted hands. Knead until you have a smooth, springy dough. Put the ball of dough in a large flour-dusted bowl, sprinkle with flour and cover with a damp cloth. Place in a warm room for an hour until doubled in size.
- Tip the dough onto a flour-dusted surface and knead it around a bit to push the air out with your hands. You can either use it immediately, or keep it, wrapped in clingfilm, in the fridge (or freezer) until required. Timing-wise, it's a good idea to roll the pizzas out about 15 to 20 minutes before you want to cook them. Don't roll them out and leave them hanging around for a few hours, though – if you're working in advance like this it's better to leave your dough, covered with clingfilm, in the fridge.
- Once you're ready to make the pizzas, divide the dough into 4 balls, keep them covered. Put a large ovenproof frying pan on the heat (you can do two at a time if you have two pans) and roll one ball out on a floured work surface until it's the same size as your pan. Add a little olive oil to the pan and add the pizza base, pressing it into the pan.
- Cook over a medium heat until the base crisps and the dough starts to cook through and bubble up, about 5-8 minutes. Top each with 2 tbsp passata, 5 halved cherry tomatoes, some basil, 1/2 tbsp capers, 1/2 ball mozzarella and 1/2 tbsp Parmesan. Put under a pre-heated grill until the toppings bubble. Drizzle with more olive oil, sprinkle with salt and top with rocket to serve.
875 kcalories, protein 30.3g, carbohydrate 102.4g, fat 41 g, saturated fat 12.5g, fibre 4.8g, salt 5.03 g
Recipe from olive magazine by