* 2 tbsp olive oil
* 2 large red onions , trimmed at the root and cut into thin wedges
* 2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
* 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
* 375g sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
* 100g feta cheese , crumbled
* 175g black olives , pitted and chopped
* 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Heat the oil in a frying pan, then gently fry the onions for about 10 mins until golden and soft. Add the sugar and balsamic vinegar, then cook for a further 5 mins until the juices are reduced and syrupy. Leave to cool.
- Unroll the puff pastry onto a baking tray. Score a line a finger-width in from the edge all the way around, then cover the middle with the onion mix. Scatter the feta and olives over. Season and drizzle the extra virgin olive oil over the topping.
- Bake for 15 mins or until the pastry is risen and golden and the base is crisp. Cut into wedges and serve with a green salad.
Why not make double the amount of onions and keep half in a jar in the fridge – perfect with cheese and cold meats or for adding a sticky sweetness to gravy the next time you have sausages and mash.
619 kcalories, protein 11g, carbohydrate 51g, fat 43 g, saturated fat 14g, fibre 3g, sugar 15g, salt 2.33 g
Recipe from Good Food magazine